how does a cat act one week after neutering?

my cat thor is lethargic and almost seems to be limping, or weak. It is one week after neutering and getting a rabies, feline leuk. shot. is this normal? she seemed to be fine the days after we brought him home. He does have a very small patch of ringworm that we are treating with lamisil. He is very vocal, but his sounds are not the normal meow, more pain like sounds????? I did not have him tested for the Leukemia. He is not vomiting, he is eating a little, and sleeping a lot.

Asked by Member 810467 on Mar 2nd 2009 Tagged leukemia, ringworm, neutering in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

I would call the vet right away. This is not normal behavior for a week after neutering. Each cat responds differently and recovers at his own pace. But a week later, he should not be lethargic and weak. He may have developed an infection of some sort. Just tell them how he is is acting and they will tell you if they need to see him or not.

Hunter

Since he got his vaccines at the same time, this is what is causing his abnormal behavior. Along with having o heal the neuter (which typically is healed in 3-5 days), he also needs to fight off the diseases that were given via vaccination. It is common for a cat to have flu like symptoms for 48 hours after receiving vaccines but it sounds as if it's been longer than that. You should call your vet and ask for their advice.
Purrs!

Hunter answered on 3/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Allie and Hunter are right. That would be normal for a few days, but not for a week. I'd call the vet just to be on the safe side.

Spike

I agree with Hunter. Vaccinations are more likely to have bad side effects than a neuter. I've had three neutered cats so far, and there were no side effects. They came home with empty bags--closed with surgical glue--and antibiotics to stave off infection. None of them showed any physical abnormalities after that. By the way, we are in Japan, and the vet care here is probably on the level of America.

Spike answered on 3/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer