Sheena

how do you stop a bengal from biting when she is upset or wants attention?

Sheena is an older cat, 6 years, and she will bite and bite hard. I can usually tell when she is going to get in the biting stage, eyes roll and tail sweeps slowly back and forth. I tell her "no bite" but it doesn't work all the time, she will bite and run like the dickens. I've tried spritzing, yelling, talking? and just getting out of her way, but at night is when she really likes to bite.

Asked by Sheena on Sep 8th 2008 Tagged biting, nights, swingingtail, rollingeyes in Aggression

Answers

Bella (In Loving Memory)

You can try distracting her with her favorite toy when you know she's about to bite. You can leave the room when you know she's about to bite. You can put her in an isolated room with her box and water after an outburst.

Sometimes it doesn't work because cats have a mind of their own and really I think they'll do what they want regardless.

My roommate has a cat like that, she thinks its charming. I respectfully disagree.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cats are most active at night. Since they can't say "Hey, get up and play with me. I'm bored!" they use whatever is handy like teeth or claws. When you spray her, she may think you're "playing". Izzie, as a Maine Coon who loves water thinks water spray is a good old time. In the evening, try some intense play to tire her out, like a laser pointer, cat fishng pole or even playing fetch with a catnip mousie if she'll do that. Izzie LOVES big glass marbles. He chases them around on our tile floor until he's exhausted!