How do you retrain a cat to use a litter box?

We have 3 cats. Late June, while my husband and I were on vacation, my brother came to house/cat sit for us. He would leave during the day and come home in the evening and stay the night. During this time, one of the cats would poop and urinate in the sunroom - probably due to change. Addie, I know in particular, does not like change. Moving her litterbox or changing her litter will turn her spiteful and she'll urinate outside the litterbox. We came home and the cat(s) still continue their nightly ritual of going in the sunroom. We disposed of the area rug and cleaned the hardwood 3-4 times a week to remove the smell but it still happened every night. We refinished the floor and shut the door to the room. Now the cat is going in the kitchen. They are all litter trained and there have been no other changes. I'm at my wits end here. I change their litter box twice a day as always and they were all litter trained since we adopted them 3 years ago.

Asked by Member 1050052 on Aug 30th 2011 Tagged litterbox in Behavior & Training

There are no answers yet. You can:

• Be the first to answer this question!