How do you determine if a cat's broken leg can be fixed or needs to be amputated?

I found a stray cat that had been hit by a car. I took him to the nearest vet, who was very unsympathetic and refused to do anything until I signed a form stating that I would pay for his medical care. They took x rays and found that he also had a broken pelvis. I was told that the break in the cat's hind leg could not be repaired and would need to be amputated. I am worried that this decision was because they don't want to refer me to an orthopedic surgeon and lose money. They stated several times that they can perform the amputation at their facility. What determines that a leg cannot be repaired and instead must be amputated?

Asked by Member 1131895 on Sep 21st 2012 Tagged stray, injured, brokenpelvis, brokenleg in Health & Wellness

Answers

I'm so sorry that you have encountered this sort of vet. They are not ALL like that. You need to find another vet to take this baby to, if you haven't already. A good place to find a vet who is used to dealing with this sort of situation is through a local rescue or shelter. They accept a lot of animals who are injured as this cat has been and they know which vets can tell you whether the leg can be saved or not. What determines whether the leg can be saved is a careful examination and x-rays and a dedicated vet. I have a 3 legger dog who everyone else thought should be euthanized, but the vet she was taken to said he could repair her leg. He did, and she will celbrate her 9th birthday in October! Good luck! If you need more help, pleaee pawmail me!

More Questions in This Category