Fritz

How do you cope when you find out your foster was PTS for no reason by new owner?

I am really struggling right now. I adopted out one of my foster boy kittens out at 8 months old. He was born in my house after I took his pregnant mother in as a foster. I loved him so. We were desperately trying to get an update on him. It turned out his adopter, in violation of the adoption contract, had this healthy kitten euthanized because he was "afraid", "wild", and had a "fever" and couldn't be bothered to medicate him or return him to the shelter as dictated in the contract. He had him PTS less than 2 weeks after adopting him. We would have taken him back in an instant if he contacted us. I just don't understand how someone can be so evil and I am so devastated. I can't even imagine how scary and awful living with that man was. Taken from his home, his family, living alone with an evil man. No wonder he was scared. I didn't know this would happen. I feel so horrible. I should never have let him go. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? How do you cope?

Asked by Fritz on May 31st 2013 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

This is heartbreaking, not to mention frustrating and traumatic and you have my sympathy. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. I would hope the vet would have contacted you when the person brought the cat in if they knew he was recently adopted. Immediately put this person's information on a "do not adopt" list and make sure everyone else in your organization knows about him. Have your director send out his name to other shelters/rescues in your area with an explanation of what he's done and have them put his name on their lists. Even with the best screening and adoption coordinators, people like this do slip through unfortunately, especially in this time of such extreme animal overpopulation. Do NOT beat yourself up over this or let it affect the good work you do. This experience WILL make you more cautious and that's a good thing. Again, we send our sympathies.

I was just looking through a few profiles on here earlier today. I came across a dear little kitten that had been in foster along with 4-5 siblings. The foster mom found out they were all but down, I think that very day she returned them. It was heart breaking! Maybe you could try to contact her.

Her living cats are ceylon, natalie, jasper, sasha,
sterling.. This one I was reading on was Moonshadow. Let me see if there is a ID code
www.catster.com

I hope she can help console you thru this. I don't know her, but after reading both stories I would think you two could benefit.

So sorry and take care.

♥Sam

Have you contacted the vet? Maybe he wasn't PTS I know some charge the client but keep the kitty's and try to adopt them out. Some vets don't like to put down a healthy kitty for no reason. Maybe you could ring them. Also you can ask why did they do that? did they get enough info? did they know he only had him for two weeks. This is so mean. Sorry this happened to you.

♥Sam answered on 6/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Some people just suck, no matter how hard you try to find a good home, you can't know what people will do. I feel your heartache, I would be utterly devastated too. Knowing me, I would have to call and tell the jerk what I thought of him, not that it would do any good, but it might make me feel a tiny bit better. What a sadistic jerk he was, without even bothering to try to contact the foster and return him. What can you do. Don't stop doing what you do for cats though, you can't help that evil people exist in this world.