Beebee

How do you brush a cat that HATES brushing, and can't be brushed by her favorite persons because of allergies?

Beebee likes my boyfriend a lot more than she likes me. But he is allergic, and can't brush her. He tried once when he saw how hard a times I was having.

However, even with treats and having him hold the brush, she still snapped and violently attacked the brush.

Now she has started to shed more, and we don't know what to do.

Please reply soon. My boyfriend is out of allergy pills, and also has asthma. This is not a good mix.

Thank you!

-Tess

Asked by Beebee on Mar 22nd 2010 in Home Grooming

Answers

Keep the brushing sessions very short. You can dilute one part fabric softener with one part water and rub it on her. That will cut down on the dander. Follow the sessions with a playtime with her. If your bf lives with you, you have to remember that your home needs to be kept vacuumed and every wipeable surface wiped down and kept free of pet hair. Avoid having other allergy-attack triggers in your home like plants and/or flowers. Get him hypoallergenic pillow to sleep on. In other words, if he' s so sensitive, many things other than the cat probably set him off. We're also heading into hay fever time. Have him renew his prescription or get one if he's taking non-prescription medication. If he's not seeing an allergist, maybe that's an idea. You may also want to see if a local groomer can bathe your cat for you. It's not that expensive and could be worth it if it makes your bf more comfortable.