Fozzy Bear

How do we stop our cat from using the bathroom tub instead of the litter box?

She was trained as a kitten to use the litterbox, however although she will get into the litterbox and scratch, she prefers to use the tub. We've tried putting the litterbox in the tub, but although she will scratch in it and sometimes use it, she seems to prefer not to. She seems very interested in the toilet. Is it possible that she is trying to copy us? Would it be beneficial to use the kit that is designed to train the cat to use the toilet?

Asked by Fozzy Bear on Oct 25th 2011 Tagged litterbox, bathtub, toilet in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Delilah

Delilah, God love her, has also decided that my tub is her potty. My hubby thinks it's really funny when I tell him I have to clean the "litter box" so I can take a bath. I don't find it quite so amusing. When I remember to stop the bath water from all draining out, I leave about 2-3 inches of bath water in the tub each night. Even Determined Diva Delilah won't get her perfect, precious little paws wet just to...well, you know...in my tub. I have to warn you though, that if you have carpeting in your bathroom like I do, or even throw rugs, your cat may decide those will do to potty on. Delilah has ruined the carpeting NEXT to my tub. My only solution is to close the door, but then hubby walks into the closed door when he goes on his nightly field trips to the bathroom. If I didn't also have dogs who go on archaeological digs in the litter boxes, I'd put one in the bathroom. If you don't have dogs, you might want to consider it. And, make sure her boxes are all very clean.

Delilah answered on 10/27/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

She might not like the type of litter that you are using, or it could also be Urinary Tract infection. Sometimes, they'd rather go on soft cloth, carpet, or drain when they get Urinary Tract infection. They tend to go frequently though if that's the case.