how do we introduce a new female adult cat into a household with exising male and female adult cats?

Asked by Member 1194140 on Oct 12th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

SLOWLY. Keep the new cat in the bathroom for at least 24 hours, or longer until she is given a health okay and a spay by the vet. You do not want to give your current cats worms or fleas... that will make them even more resentful. While this is going on and they are smelling the new cat under the door (and probably hissing), give your cats treats and extra toys. Then, supervised visitation is in order. Do not try to force anything. When they are okay together in the home without fighting, you can leave them all out overnight. Ensure the new one is spayed, because my vet wasn't sure for my newest and then she went into heat, which caused peeing on my hallway rugs which both had to be taken up. Start with short visits for them all when you are outside, and build up to the point when they can all coexist. Because you did not bring in a kitten, do NOT show the new cat any more attention that the others, and give your current cats even more attention than before. ^_^