how do we introduce a new cat to a bird? We need to be sure it won't kill the bird!

before we get our first cat we need to be sure that it won't kill our bird. it would be an indoor cat and we're wondering if there's any way to train the cat to not chase or eat the bird. thanks!

Asked by Member 969442 on Mar 3rd 2010 Tagged bird, new, kill, introduce in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Okay, a few questions. What kind of bird is it? Is it always uncaged? Cats and birds can get along--or not. I'm not a bird person, but I've had a pet rat and goldfish, which my cats were actually afraid of. If your bird is always uncaged, there is a chance that your cat will take a predatory interest in it. On the other hand, there are examples of cats bonding with other animals that would usually be considered prey. Keep Birdy caged until you figure out if Kitty has a death wish. And I hope other Catsters with birds can give you better advice.

Chibi answered on 3/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Are you getting a kitten? That will have a much better chance of teaching kitty not to bother the bird. But really, there are no guarantees. A cat's natural instinct is to pounce on and play with a little feather covered critter that hops around and catches kitty's attention. Stay away from any kitty toys that contain feathers. My cat's favorite toy is feathers on a stick and I would not expect them to know the difference in feathers that were attached to a living creature and to leave it alone. There are plenty of people with birds and cats that live in harmony but it really goes against nature so it will take a lot of effort on your part to keep that bird safe. Keep the cage out of reach (from anyplace she may jump from) and always reinforce telling kitty NO when she seems to be showing too much interest in the bird.

A friend of mine who fosters cats also has a bird. Since she's never sure about the personality of the cats she fosters, the bird stays in it's cage, on a hook anchored into the ceiling. There is no way you can train the cat not to see the bird as a roasted turkey on a platter with all the fixings. As Chibi said, either it has the instinct or it doesn't and I wouldn't take a chance by letting your bird and cat meet and finding out too late that your cat will see the bird as prey. I've only seen cats leave a bird alone once, with another foster who also had a nasty, large parrot who'd been abused. That bird sat on it's perch and bit anyone who came too close, four legged or two. We ALL learned to avoid it,including the cats she fostered who learned the hard way that Pedro was NOT to be messed with. Make sure you keep your bird IN the cage, preferably hanging from something the cat can't climb. Good luck and let us know how it goes!