How do I transport a litter of kittens safely in a carrier?

I foster litters of kittens for a local shelter, and lately the strain of carrying the mama cat and 3-6+ growing kittens in one (very large) hard-sided carrier has begun to (literally!) weigh on me.

It's not feasible to carry each in a separate carrier by myself. A rolling carrier might save my back and shoulders, but all of the ones I've found say they're not intended for multiple cats. The mama cats typically weigh under 10 lbs., and the kittens don't get to be more than about 3 lbs. each before they're ready for adoption, but I'm looking at a possible 28 lbs. of cat, before the weight of the carrier itself.

The largest carriers I've seen can hold up to 20 lbs, so I'm thinking if I get two carriers and divide them up once they get older, I could manage to transport them to appointments safely. Safety is important, but they would only be in there for short trips to the vet and to the shelter to meet adopters.

What do you think? Any carrier recommendations?

Asked by Member 1140346 on Nov 6th 2013 Tagged rescue, adoption, carriers, kittens, litters, transport in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Moms and month-old kittens can go in separate carriers. I like sherpas because they have a shoulder strap. My 3 adults are leash trained, which is much easier than trying to shove my 20+ lb.er into a bag! Most people I know prefer hard carriers. I once carried two adults in one large plastic carrier, and we all were miserable because I could barely lift them. ^_^

I don't have a specific type to recommend, but I think the two carriers idea is good. My parents took in a pregnant stray several years ago who later had 5 kittens. Until they were too big to all fit in one carrier, we would put the kittens all in one carrier & their mother in a separate one. They all have their own now.