How do I stop the new younger cat stop bothering the older sick cat?

I have a 16 year old cat who is very sick from Chronic Liver Failure, Kitty. She was very bad at one point and I live alone so I adopted a year old american long hair, Abby. Abby was raised with a dog, so she is a very active cat, she plays fetch, loves the water, she is very vocal (very) and loves attention and play. Kitty has always been anti social and quiet.

I have a small apartment and it's been about 3 months since Abby came in, turns out Kitty got a lot better and is still hanging on, but Abby just wont leave her alone. Abby wants to play and charges at her and no matter how much kitty hisses she wont leave her alone. I tried to seperate them and put a fence between them, but Abby jumps it. I dont know what to do to teach Abby to leave Kitty alone. Kitty has been stuck in my room and can't hardly go out. I dont know how to teach Abby to stop, I scream and she runs away when I catch her, but two seconds later she is at it again.

Any suggestions?

more details? THey have their

Asked by Member 1115733 on Jun 14th 2012 Tagged cat, hissing, bothering, fighting, seperation in Aggression

Answers

First, it's a shame that your 16-year old Kitty has liver failure. Second, why would you bring in another cat at this stage of Kitty's life? It really is not fair to Kitty, especially since Abby chases and torments her. This is a similar scenario that I went through. My cat Tippy had chronic renal failure and a younger cat showed up in my neighborhood. I took the cat in and kept her away from my Tippy at my veterinarian's recommendation. She said it would stress poor Tippy even more so and she would probably get depressed and die. I kept the new cat "Angel" in our just finished basement so not to stress my beloved Tippy. I had to do this for five months until Tippy passed. It's not fair to an old(er) cat who has been alone, particularly one that is ailing, to bring in and introduce a new (especially younger) cat/kitten. Finally, NEVER, and I mean NEVER, scream at your cats! Get the squirt bottle out and use that as a disciplinary measure, but never scream! Best of luck.

As the other poster said, this has become a difficult situation for you. It probably would have been better for all concerned if you'd waited until much-loved Kitty had gone to The Bridge. Screaming at Abby obviously isn't working. She's a friendly cat and she probably doesn't understand why Kitty doesn't just adore her. Is there a friend who could take Abby for you to foster until Kitty passes? Shelters are so blasted right now that chances are Abby would not find another new home. If she was fostered before, can you contact the rescue and explain your situation? Abby isn't a "bad" cat and shouldn't be disciplined for acting normally, but it's not fair to Kitty to spend the last part of her life being tormented. Good luck. We hope it all works out.