How do I stop my larger male cat from attacking my smaller female cat?

I have two female cats that are 11 and 10 years old. Three months ago I got a 7 year old, 30 lbs. raggamuffin. I kept them apart for about a month and made slow introductions. Everyone was getting along just fine until about a month ago. The male began to attack my 10 year old female. Before this they got along really well. My 11 yr old female is the dominate one of the house and the male doesn't bother her. I don't know if male saw the two females fighting and was influenced that way? I don't know what happened? I have tried spray bottles, squirt guns, and loud noises and nothing has worked. They are live in different parts of the house now. I just want peace in my house. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by Member 949321 on Feb 2nd 2010 Tagged catfights in Aggression

Answers

You don't say what the Ragamuffin's history is or where you got him, but it's possible that he was always a cat who picked on other cats. If you adopted him from a shelter, you probably should have disclosed that you have other cats. Did your females always fight? Are all the cats fixed? If not, that's your first step, even at their ages. The male may want to pick on the dominant female but knows she won't tolerate it so he takes it out on the submissive female. He may have been scoping out the situation for two months and then last month decided who he was going to pick on. You may have to keep up the slow introductions until they begin to tolerate each other which could take months based on their intros so far. I've also heard that the "air puff" in a can that we use to clean our computers can be more effective than squirting cats with water. It's available at any office supply store.