How do I stop my cat from urinating on my expensive leather furniture?

I have a cat that is about a year old. He was abandoned and we brought him home. We didn't have any issues with him using the litter box at all, no accidents from day one. About a month ago he started having little accidents right around his litter box so we too him to the vet and found out he had a UTI and high crystal count in his urine. We changed him over to presription diet that the vet told us to and he was started on antibiotics for the UTI. Well here we are a month later and round three of antibiotics to try and get rid of this infection. Needless to say he is now urinating on furniture. He poops in his litter box and he also urinates in his litter box, but yet he still chooses to urinate on my expensive leather furniture and on blankets. He has two littler boxes both of which are cleaned 2-3 times a week and are both in quiet private places. Any help on stopping this problem would be great. If it continues I won't be able to keep him because he will eventually destroy all my f

Asked by Member 746638 on Oct 19th 2008 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Shizzle (1995-2007)

First suggestion, clean all surfaces that you're kitty has indoctrinated with an oxy-based cleaner like "Nature's Miracle" available at pet stores everywhere. If he smells it, he's going to cover it, over and over again. Second suggestion, has he had a renal ultrasound? During one of these, it was discovered that Shizzie had one very large kidney and one very tiny one--essentially, he only had one kidney. If you really want to keep him, you may want to try a specialist, usually available through a Veteriinary Referral Clinic. They also need to draw what they call a "clean" sample, by using a hypo directly into his bladder through his stomach. Sounds barbaric, but he'll be anesthetized first. Third suggestion, keep him in his litter box room or in a small bathroom with food/water/box so he'll be forced to use it. If it's a behavioral issue, this usually works.

Shizzle (1995-2007) answered on 10/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am so sorry I have no answer for the urinating problem, but I may have an answer to protect your furniture until the problem can be solved. Please look at KleenSheets.com and see if these disposal sheets would help on your nice furniture.