How do I stop my cat from biting everything?

I have a cat that is 1 year old and she bites on everything. If something sticks out, and she can put her mouth around it, she'll bite and chew it, leaving dents, scratches, and even holes in the object, giving it a rough feel. She's even bitten the handle on the side of my recliner. I need to know how to fix this and if it is bad for her teeth.

Asked by Member 1103655 on Apr 2nd 2012 Tagged biting in Behavior & Training

Answers

At the age of a year, your kitten should be about 3 months past actual teething. But, her chewing habits may have started during her months of teethng and continue on now. Izzie LOVES to chew up newspaper and my daughter's cat cost her $2000 to remove a puzzle piece she'd ingested that blocked her intestine. So, yes it can be bad for her teeth, her digestion and your posessions. If she is such a dedicated chewer, I would be tempted to take her to her vet to make sure she has no health issues such as a parasitic infestation or dental issues. My daughter stopped her cat from chewing by getting a puppy "Kong" toy and filling it with Sophie's favorite treats. It occupies Sophie for so long, she forgot all about chewing things up. But as I said, it could be a medical issue and needs to be checked out. It's a dangerous and destructive habit.