How do I stop my cat from attacking my ankles?

She is 1 1/2yo. She stalks me down the hallway and will pounce only when my back is turned. She sinks her teeth and claws in, draws blood, and then runs off?? I've tried "time-outs" (locking her outside for half an hour) which worked at first but that doesn't seem to phase her anymore. I've been told to spray her with water but she runs off so quick that by the time I turn around she's already gone. I'm also worried she'll start doing it to my new baby boy...

Asked by Member 1181658 on Jul 21st 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Your cat is jealous and acting out. Spend as much time with her as before the baby came. If you already are, spend more. Go to the pet store and buy a bunch of 99 cent toys that will taste better than your ankles. Cats do not understand "time out"- they are not dogs and she will resent you even more for punishing her. You need a 1/2 water and white vinegar mixture to deter the behavior- get a little spray bottle form the beauty supply store and carry it on your belt or pant waist. Correcting the behavior at the moment is key, and you need to wear mid-calf socks to block the teeth until her actions are thwarted. Throw a couple of treats her way when you hear her coming and see if that helps also. ^_^