Lilly

How do I stop cats from peeing on dog bed?

My 2 female cats are just over a year. Both are spayed. One of them loves the dog, and the other one is frightened of her. Someone, I can guess who, keeps peeing on the dog beds. They used to go a month before being soiled. But now each one is lasting less than two weeks. I!d opt for just not having a dog bed, except my father, who I rent from, and who is a dog lover, suggested that if I can't keep the cats from peeing on dog beds, then I should get rid of them rather than get rid of the dog beds.

I also had an occasion with they peed a dog leash that had fallen on the floor. Anything that smells like dog seems to be designated litterbox.

I've tried several products. One was an Oder eliminator that was also supposed to deter. I tried a plug in with pheromones, but after a week, the oil started leaking and the plastic burner started burning. Within 2 days of chucking it, the bed was soiled again. I've also tried a calming aid for the cat I most suspect who is, by nature, over anxious.

I don't really know what else to try. They only use the beds at night or when I'm at work. The dog isn't doing it cause she comes with me to work and sleeps in an x-pen at night.

Any suggestions?

Asked by Lilly on Sep 6th 2013 Tagged cats, dogbed, marking in Behavior & Training

Answers

Cover the flat dog bed with pee pads, so you can throw them out after. There are also calming sprays and water additive that you can try. You should also pick up the bed and put it away when you are not home, in a place where the cat can not reach it. ^_^ I think OxiAdvantage spray works pretty well at removing odors...

You don't mention whether or not you've taken the cats to the vet's to be checked for urinary tract infections. This is the first thing you need to rule out. If it hurts her to pee in the litterbox, she will use the dog's bed. There are really no outward signs of a UTI except for not using the box. If they're clear of a UTI, chat with the vet about their lifestyles and personalities and about YOUR'S. It could be that since the dog is gone all day, every day, bringing her home with you may be like constantly introducing a new animal who has to be shown (by the cats) whose territory the house is. Also, if the cats are exposed to your dad during the day, if he's not too fond of them, they pick this up. Not that he abuses them, but cats know when they aren't liked. Cats who are turned in to shelters for inappropriate elimination usually don't find new homes. Please take them to the vet's and ask for their advice on what to do. Good luck!