Sassy

How do I make sure my cat and my roommate's cat stay friends in the long run?

I just got my first tortoiseshell kitten and she's already flaunting her tortitude. She gets along with the siamese in the house for now but I'm scared that because she's a tortie that wont last. She's 6 months right now, so if there's anything I can do to make sure she stays friendly, I would love to know. Thanks!

Asked by Sassy on Dec 6th 2012 Tagged tortitudetortoiseshell in Socialization

Answers

Lizzie is my second Torbie (tortoishell tabby)so I know exactly what you mean. However, any cat, like any child, will live what they learn. A kitten must be socialized. Cats make up their minds who they will and will not like, but they should be exposed to all sorts of people, men, women and children who know how to act around animals and won't tease or bully them. A cat can be trained, but the owner must be reasonable. Cats climb, so get her a cat tree/condo. Give her scratchy boards and play with her as often as you can to keep her mind active. Get her spayed, keep her vetted and brush her as often as you can to get her used to being handled by you. The Siamese will probably set her own ground rules for the Tortie, but don't let the kitten harrass the older cat. Play with them together as often as possible, but make sure the Siamese has her own box, food bowl and bed. Praise both cats for good behavior. Cuddle as often as they'll allow. Be patient and kind. Good luck! Purrs...