How do I leave my 2 month old kitten alone when I'm in class?

I am a college student and I just adopted a 2 month male kitten. I live at home and I've spent the past three days getting him used to living here. Now he cries when I leave him alone for more than a few minutes. I have classes during the day and he will be alone for a few hours. What can I do to lessen the separation anxiety and keep him from hating me when I come home?

Asked by Member 1082853 on Jan 8th 2012 Tagged college, kitten, anxiety in Kittens

Answers

Trust me, your kitty will not come to hate you for leaving him alone. When I worked with a rescue, we tried to suggest that adopters of very young kittens adopt 2 instead of just one. It actually helps with the anxiety of being alone and also with the socialization of the cat. They're so busy tearing up your house, they don't realize you aren't there ;-0 Seriously, you can leave a radio or television on for him. If you have a good, trustworthy, cat-loving friend who has time, you can ask them to come in and play with/talk to your kitten. You can play with him before you leave to tire him out. And, always make sure that things like cords and items he can chew up and possibly swallow (even hair ties) are kept put away. Keeping him in a separate room with food, water and some toys might not be a bad idea either. Make a carrier his 'go to' spot with a soft blanket or an item of your clothing.

Quindim

1. Give him toys, a cat tree and a scratcher post. He needs some interesting things to do when you are studying. Teach him how to use these toys.
2. You could leave for him a used t-shirt with your smell so he doesn’t feel abandoned.
3. You can use cat’s pheromones such Feliway.
4. If noting works, look for another kitten to be his forever playmate. It works 100% of the time!

For me was like this. Now I have a friend. And, because I’m not bored anymore, I don’t mess around like I used to do. It is not intuitive, but two cats are less trouble than one! :)

Quindim answered on 1/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer