How do I know if my cat really likes his food or is just eating it because he has no choice?

I recently switched my one year old male to Solid Gold Indigo Moon from Iams. He's healthy and active and I want to keep him that way. I've heard that wet is the best but for various reasons I've decided to give him a combo of dry and wet. We're still working on getting him used to wet (he hates it). In the meantime I've noticed he eats the Solid Gold but without the old excitement he had for Iams. He used to go nuts for Iams (purring, clawing the bag, knocking the measuring cut out of my hand, etc). I'd like to stick with grain free. Should I try other brands or am I just reading too much into this? Thanks for any help.

Asked by Member 1110917 on May 15th 2012 Tagged food in Food & Nutrition

Answers

baby&titan

if he dident like it, he wouldent eat it. or hes hugry he will eat it. its one of those gray areas.

baby&titan answered on 5/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You're doing fine with him. If a cat doesn't like his food, he absolutely will not eat it, no matter how hungry he is. Or he may pick at it and walk away.

What you are feeding him now is better than Iams. I'd stick with it. As for wet food try different textures. I like wet food that's more pate or loaded with gravy. I'll eat about any flavor except for beef. Try a variety to see what he likes.

Ghost

I just switched to Nutro Max Cat wet food. It's chunky and much better than th e mush the shelter sent me home with. I get one 3 oz can with dinner and kibble with breakfast and dinner.

Ghost answered on 5/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer