Sandy

How do I keep my friends cat safe from a family of foxes at the end of the garden?

I'll be cat sitting in a couple of weeks and my friend wants me to keep an eye on the situation. The poor cat has been chased by 'Mum' fox already. She is an outdoor cat and if she is anything like my Sandy - impossible to keep in. Any advice?

Asked by Sandy on Jun 11th 2013 Tagged fox, foxes, outdoorsafety in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Under no circumstances should you interfere in any altercations between the cats and the vixen, or mother fox. There is nothing more vicious than a wild animal mother protecting her babies. You could be badly injured. You need to kindly but firmly explain to your friend that you will not put yourself in danger to protect her cat from the fox. Perhaps a wildlife organization could be contacted to safely trap and remove the family from the area and relocate them to a more rural area. As long as her cat insists on being outdoors, you cannot take responsibility for her safety. If your friend is very concerned that her cat may come to harm, suggest that she board the cat while she's gone.

Nicholas

I agree with Izzie but if you have no other choice and I am hestitant to suggest this but human male urine is supposed to deter foxes or maybe try mothballs. I am surprised you and the cat have been out in this situation. Cats should be indoors. It not only prolongs their life by 5-8 years but keeps them safe from all the bad things out in the real world. Good luck to you!

Nicholas answered on 6/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer