How do i keep my cats from running outside everytime we open door?

My cats keep running out everytime i open door to go outside my cats try to run outside. I have tried putting them in anthother room and closing door but they have found away to open it and get out. I am home alone most of the day cause my boyfriend works. And yes my cats are spayed and neutred so they aint looking for a mate. Is there way i can train to stop run outside when we open the door?

Asked by Member 969340 on Mar 23rd 2010 in Methods of Training

Best Answer

This is a question we get every year whenever the weather gets better, and so far, I'm sorry to tell you, no one has come up with a solution. My own cat, when stopped from bolting out my patio door, decided to claw holes in my window screens to get out. After a $400 repair bill, my husband said I either had to let Lily outside or rehome her. If your cats have ever been outside, they remember that time and want to go out again. If they are in/out cats, you can't keep them in when they want to go out. If you can install a screen door on your main door, this will give you another line of defense. Someone even suggested stationing another person outside the door with a spray bottle to spray the cats when they try to bolt outside. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help,but the only other thing I can think of is the new Invisible Fence collar for cats...

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Mar 23rd.

Answers

Spike

In this case, it doesn't sound like a baby-proof gate (pet-proof gate?) would help. Or maybe it would, if tall enough for the cats not to jump over (that would be about 7 feet!). Off the wall advice--I (the Human) avoid most doorbells. Either they are UPS people who will leave a slip for you, or salespeople/religious people you probably don't want to deal with. (Not that I'm anti-religious, I just don't like people coming to my door. Even the Girl Scout girls with their cookies.) Putting your cats in a room with a bolt on the OUTSIDE that they can't access is one idea (said bolt would cost a few bucks and could be installed in less than five minutes, if you have a screw driver). Your question is about training, but I am talking about prevention. If the main person coming through the door is your boyfriend, then have him call you when he's about to come home, and do the preparations. If you have lots of friends, have them call you too, so you can seclude the cats. Good luck!

Spike answered on 3/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Use a squirt bottle! It works!!!! Tried it on my own cat. Now, she waits until I tell her she can go out with me.