Belle

How do I help my cat's gas problem?

She defecates on a regular basis, and her stools are of a normal consistency and color. She has had a 'gas problem' ever since we got her about a month ago, and I thought it was just because she was in a new environment and it would stop once she settled in - but it hasn't. She has been tested for worms and does not have any.

She did have diarrhea occasionally when we first got her, but the vet said it was probably a behavioral problem and would stop once she settled in - and it did. but the gas problem hasn't gone away!

Should I try changing her diet to something lower in fiber or higher in fiber? Should I try feeding her yogurt to repopulate the bacteria in her intestines that she may have lost when she had diarrhea?

Asked by Belle on Oct 1st 2008 in Pet Food

Best Answer

Tabby

Persistent flatulence (gas) should not be ignored. General Causes:Swallowing air occurs most often from eating quickly or gulping during eating.Diets that are high in soybean or fiber,spoiled food,and/or overeating Dietary intolerance or allergy may induce gastrointestinal signs.Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is an inflammation of the walls of the intestines.Vomiting, diarrhea, flatulence, poor appetite, and weight loss are common clinical signs of IBD.Discourage rapid ingestion of food by feeding smaller, more frequent meals.Cats that gulp their food should be fed alone.The food may also be separated into small quantities that are given in different bowls or locations, or released slowly by an automatic dispenser.Do not allow your cat access to spoiled food. Keep him confined to the house or yard, and supervise all outdoor activities. Create an environment that does not allow your cat.Change your pet's diet to one that is low in fiber and easily digested.

Tabby answered on Oct 1st.

Answers

Bella (In Loving Memory)

What are you feeding her? Friskies is NOTORIOUS for giving kitties STINKY gas.

I would just change her food as gas is usually a sign of an intolerance. If you're feeding her something like Friskies step her up to a slightly higher quality food and see if that makes the difference.

Please don't give your kitty yogurt! If she eats it the dairy would likely give her diarrhea and possibly some vomiting as well!

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 10/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chelsea

It sounds like you have already considered other health issues and discussed this with your vet so a good quality food is a good idea to try but fiber causes gas so I'd stay away from higher fiber. And instead of yogurt to try to repopulate the healthy digestive bacteria, you can try a product called Bene-Bac. It can be purchased at any pet supply store like Petsmart and comes in little tubes of gel that you can just mix into regular food wet food or even human baby food in beef ot chicken flavor. My vet had suggested that for one of mine when she had been on an antibiotic and had constant diarrhea. However, she also suggested yogurt if I was unable to find the Bene-Bac so although milk is very hard to digest, I don't think yogurt is a bad idea either.

Chelsea answered on 10/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer