How do I groom a foster cat that is deaf and very temperamental?

We can usually get a few petting strokes in before she decides she wants to kill us! hehe

Asked by Member 1107823 on Apr 26th 2012 in Home Grooming

Answers

Delilah was the same way. She's not deaf but because she was a biter, she was in the shelter for a year because no one wanted to adopt a cat who shot sparks out of her eyes and tried to rip your hand off if you petted her. And, of course she is long-haired and tends to mat. I have to tell you that Delilah and I met each other half-way. I was VERY patient with her. Grooming/petting sessions were kept short. I didn't know what her life was like before I got her, so I assumed it'd been rough. After much patience and about 2 years, I've finally got my loving lap cat. I still can't brush her stomach or hind parts, but she does tolerate brief grooming sessions. I actually started out with a grooming "glove" that was more like petting than grooming. I also use a "zoom groom" that has soft teeth that don't scratch her skin. I don't "yank" out mats and she also visits the groomer once a year or so. Patience is the key!

I love this question! I don't really have an answer, but I rescued a stray, deaf cat, so it makes me feel better to know that someone else out there knows what it's like to deal with a difficult cat! He has a really good heart, but he bites and scratches, and I think he was abandoned at a young age. I have had him for three years. He has mellowed a lot, but he is still very high strung, and still bites and scratches. I wanted to find a home for him but WHO would take a cat like this?? He gets an A+ in litter box use, but he still bites and scratches and he can be very loud because he's deaf and can't hear how loud he is.

Ms. Coutinq

TRY THIS! this applies to all conditions of cats, whether with disability or healthy cat.

"dry shampoo using household items"

you may need cornstarch and brush.

1. brush cat's fur the other way the fur grows so fur strands will be lifted up

2. sprinkle generous amount of cornstarch especialy to dirty areas where odor usually develops (but be careful to annoy your cat with the starch like avoiding the starch to enter the eyes, mouth, nose )

3. brush it now with massaging stroke any other way. in this stage you can enjoy the task by bonding with your cat...they love being massaged. do that so the starch will look like smoking, sign that you are removing the excess,

then for final touch, brush them the right way so they will look more tidy and whiter (for cats with white coats or white spots)

*THE NAILS ARE ANOTHER STORY...if u r interested to know how i do it just ask...hope my answer helps

Ms. Coutinq answered on 5/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer