How do I gradually, safely introduce a new cat to my resident cat when we live in a studio apartment?

I want to get a second cat. All the articles I've read stress the importance of gradually introducing the new and the resident cats, to keep them in separate rooms for a few days. Problem is, I only have one room in my studio apartment. Any advice on how to handle the introduction?

Asked by Member 1193994 on Oct 11th 2013 in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

You don't have a bathroom with a door? That will have to do while you are not home. You should bring in a youngster of the opposite gender to avoid same-sex dominance issues. There will be hissing, eating each other's food, growling etc., and you will need to add another litter box just so that your current cat does not start marking to show displeasure. Buying a cat tree, more toys and scatchers will also help to give both more places to hide. I have four and my newest kitten was not separated from the others at all... that's not to say they enjoyed the new addition, but they tolerate her. Meow to the world ^_^