How do I get two cats to get along with each other.

They are both 4 years old. One is male the other female. The female the smaller of the two is the more agressive one and seems to think that the entire hopuse is her's.

Asked by Member 568650 on Feb 10th 2008 in Aggression

Answers

Sam

Hi! I recommend it a lot on this site, but you should really check out the book Cat vs. Cat. Its less than $15 at Barnes and Noble and has really great advice...I actually found it because someone here recommended it to me.
If I list everything that helps I'll go way over the space limit here BUT: You should make sure that the boy has plenty of his own space where he can retreat when he's feeling bullied. We have a tall cat tree and Hunter likes to hide up there from Sam. Make sure you have multiple food/water bowls and litter boxes so that he always has access to one. For some cats, Feliway diffusers and Rescue remedy in their water can reduce aggression. Generally, it takes them a month or two to work out the hierarchy and they made need to do some hissing fighting until then. You can keep a water pistol on hand and if she gets too aggressive squirt her in the butt with it (never the face, they can get URIs).
Best of luck!

Sam answered on 2/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sam gave you a great answer. I'm just chiming in to say that clapping with a really loud "NO" can break up fights too.

You should get together at a young age. Control your cat! They might mate, so that's why they fight. The also might be play-fighting to entertain themselves. Maybe she doesn't think that the entire hopuse is her's. She could just be joking! Cats are full of jokes and tricks.