how do i get rid of sinus infection without going to the vet? (lack of money)

We've had at least 2 cats die from this sinus/eye infection deal we dont have the expencises to pay for all 4 cats left to go to the vet and get treated is there any home remody that will at least help them fight it off? its urgent we dont want any other cat to die from this infection please help me out im begging you please

Asked by Member 998077 on Nov 27th 2010 in Illness & Disease

Best Answer

Guest is absolutely correct. There is no home remedy to cure an infection, if that is what it is. If you don't take them to a vet, about all you will be able to do is watch them die. It sounds cruel and harsh, but it's the God's honest truth. Contact your local vets, humane shelters or rescue organizations (phone book or www.petfinder.com) and throw yourselves on their mercy. If you own a cat who is not fixed and is continually getting pregnant and producing kittens, you also need to have her and any other unaltered animals you have fixed. There are low-cost clinics for this. Respiratory infections are the #1 killer of young kittens. We can do nothing here to help...they need hands-on care. Good luck and purrs for their recovery.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Nov 29th.

Answers

You need to take your cats to a vet unless you want to risk losing them. The fact that two of your cats have already died from sinusitis, leads me to believe that it is caused by something serious (distemper ?). Sinusitis in felines can also be caused by a bacterial or fungal infection, or a parasite. You don't state whether your cats go outdoors, but I would bet that they do since they have this infection. If the infection were caused by an indoor element, I don't believe it would have killed two cats. Then again, who knows? I am not a vet, but I would suggest getting your remaining cats to the vet ASAP and find out what the cause of the sinusitis is. Keep your cats indoors as well. Hope they all recuperate and are on the road to recovery soon.

Charlie

Please take the cats to a vet. Sometimes vets will give "multi-cat" discounts when treating for the same thing, especially if you're a regular/long term client. Last winter a mutant virus swept through the shelter where my mom volunteers and it (and/or a secondary bacterial infection) killed almost half the cats there.

My fur-siblings came down with ringworm a couple of years ago, vet charged half-price for treating all of us (paid price of 2.5 cats instead of all 5), saved mom a lot of money. Needless to say, we've stayed with the same vet since 1998.

Charlie answered on 11/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If these kittens are not vaccinated and all 4 have the same infection then it is pretty likely that they all have Herpes virus. There is no cure, a vet can only relieve the symptoms but the infection will come back throughout their lifetime. There is no treatment for the infection at home. They need antibiotics and this is contagious to any of your other cats who have not had their FVRCP vaccine. L-lysine is effective to help keep a cat with Herpes more comfortable and lessen the symptons but they should see a vet to be sure that's what it is and they need their vaccines.