How do I get my two male cats to stop fighting?

I have two male cats that are a year apart and have had them both since they were kittens. Both neutered. The other day out of nowhere they started fighting, not play fighting. The older one seems to be the aggressor. I separated them for a day and tried to get them together again and after 5-10 minutes they started fighting again to the point where fur is flying. I separated them again. What caused this? Nothing in my house has changed and they're 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 years old. I had a similar situation with them acting like this when a stray cat was hanging around and they saw it out the window but there hasn't been any animals around. They are strictly indoor cats. I can't let them both out at the same time and have to shut one down in the basement and the other in a bedroom with separate litterbox, food and water. I do alternate which one gets to roam the house throughtout the day/night. Will they eventually stop this behavior? What caused this? They use to get along so well. Help!!!

Asked by Member 1152107 on Jan 27th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Are you absolutely positive there is no stray cat outside? This is classic misdirected aggression which they've already shown once, so it would stand to reason that's what's going on now. Cats will also act like this when one doesn't feel well, so close observation of eating and toileting and other behaviors might pinpoint the problem, and exams by the vet might help, too, especially if they haven't been in a while. Sometimes, cats react to things that we wouldn't even guess would be bothering them. They may need to be separated for more than a day. If the fighting is truly nasty, be very careful when separating them. You could be bitten or clawed. Use a soda can with pennies taped inside, one of those "canned air" computer keyboard cleaners or even a spray bottle of water. Honestly, if my cats suddenly started fighting, I would call my vet who knows them and could advise or even prescribe something for them for anxiety. I know having a war zone in your home can't be pleasant.

Dalton

I had a trouble when my new kitten came into the life of my older cat. She was very angry at him for no reason and just couldnt stop fighting. The vets told me to buy Feliway, it just a anti-axiety scent that you plug into the plug wall. There is pheromones in it so it puts the sent into the house and the cats are less anxious. It worked very fast, like an hour later my cats were calm and she stop fighting with hi m since then. I guessed she just had to calm a bit first in order to accept him. Anyway maybe that could apply to your situation. Ask your vet if it could help..

Dalton answered on 1/29/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer