How do I get my kitten to use the same litter as my Cat?

I recently brought a new kitten home. I have another cat that is a year and a half old. They seem to get along for the most part besides some rough play from my bigger cat. (I think he doesnt realize how much bigger than the kitten he is) But besides that...We have two litter boxes, I know it is reccomended to have 3 for two cats but we simply do not have the room for a third right now. When my Cat uses the kittens litter the kitten will not use it after and has been using my blankets and other things like boxes and such. He will use the litter box other than that, but if the cat has gone into it the kitten just will not go near it. Is there something I can get to spray in the litter box that will help this problem or do you have suggestions of methods to stop this.. Anything? I'm just tired of washing my bessheet every single day. Pleaseee Help!! Thanks!!

Asked by Member 1133712 on Oct 1st 2012 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

I don't blame you. The odor of cat pee isn't pleasant. Your kitten probably views the "used" litter box like we would if we went into a public restroom and the previous occupant hadn't flushed. Ick, right? I have 3 cats and 2 boxes. However, my boxes are huge. I use a Rubbermaid underbed storage box for one. That's about 3 feet long. Because Izzie is a Maine Coon and a large cat, I also have another large box. I keep them side by side in my closet. Of course, I do scoop them daily and change out the litter and scrub the box once a week. I find that the larger area for pottying in the bigger boxes works for me.