Freddy

How do i get my kitten to stop peeing everywhere?

My 10 month old male kitten is peeing all over our living room carpet in different areas. He hasn't been neutered yet (we think it's marking his territory), but we have an appointment to get him neutered in just a few days. We are really hoping that he will stop after he is neutered. We have cleaned the areas that he has peed in and the smell of pee is still in our house. It's embarassing when we have guests over and so we really need to figure out how to stop him from doing this.

We have already tried cleaning the spots with Natural's Miracle cleaner and with Vinegar, but it doesn't help. He is still peeing places.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Asked by Freddy on Jan 15th 2009 Tagged urine, kittens, spraying in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Best Answer

Keegan

This should stop once he is fixed. He is marking territory. In the meanwhile, try treating the areas with Listerine mouth wash. Try a test spot first. let it sit for 5 minutes and then wipe with water and spray with Febreeze for pets or Arm & Hammer Carpet & Room Pet Fresh Odour Eliminator. Good Luck!

Keegan answered on Jan 15th.

Answers

It will probably help some once he's been neutered but if it has become a habit for him he may still do so some even after the neuter. While he's at the vet rent a carpet shampooer and clean the whole floor. If even a little smell remains he will still want to go there because it smells like a place to go and he doesn't know any better to know the difference between his box that smells the same to him as the carpet. Talk to the vet while you're there about possible behavioral problems as well. You may also want to get a couple extra litterboxes and place them around the house, he may not like the style or location of his current one.(cats are picky) If it get desperate you may have to get the carpet removed and have the subfloor covered with a stain/odor blocker paint like Kilz and get new carpet (my parents had to do that because the smell seeped into the subfloor and no amount of cleaning would get it up enough for the cat's sensitive nose to not smell it) good luck!

I agree that getting him neutered should help. I also agree that having the carpet shampooed is definitely in order. We actually found a Bissel shampoo that's specifically for pet odors. It works great. You can find it where the steam cleaners are at the grocery store.

I agree that neutering should help but you should also reclean all the areas with only the Nature's Miracle. Vinegar has a high enough ammonia content that cats will still think the place still smells like pee.

I've also found that spraying the areas with mint or citrus perfumes after cleaning helps (Bath and Body Works has a great mint foot spray that works amazingly against cat pee)