manolo blahnik

How do I get my cat to stop peeing on everything?

My 3 year old, fixed, male cat is peeing all over my house! He has peed all over my counter tops, couches, movies, ect. This problem has been going on for about a year and we have tried everything! My husband and I are at our wits end. We have used feli-away, he has been tested for health issues, the plug-ins, and even behavior meds. Any other ideas?

Asked by manolo blahnik on Feb 2nd 2009 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Have you changed litters? Is his box in the same place? Have you tried a covered box vs. an open box? What are you cleaning the urine spots with?

I know Oscar will only do his business in a covered box with Tidy Cat litter in the same spot in my bedroom. Anything else... not gonna happen.

You have to clean those urine spots with an enzymatic cleaner to get the smell completely out. If he "smells himself" in an area, he's going to go back. I personally use Simple Solution, which I get at Petsmart. It's good for dog and cat spots.

Good luck. Cat pee is not a fun thing to deal with.

You may also want to try putting as many litter boxes as it takes for him to get the idea. When I caught Lily peeing on the clothes in the laundry room it was right after my dog had chased her and traumatized her. Also, there are as many behavior/anti-anxiety meds for cats as there are for humans. If one didn't work, you may want to ask your vet for another. You may also want to contact a veterinary renal specialist that your own vet can refer you to to make sure that he's structurally sound.

First, get a vet check again. If you have the money and can find one, consult with a cat behavioralist. One method I've heard of is to cage the cat (I don't know what kinds of cages they have in your country, but here we have 6 foot cages with three levels, and enough room for a litter box), and keep the cat in the cage until it's figured out that toilet stuff goes in the toilet. I've never tried it, but I've heard it works.