Spot

How do I get my cat to let me sleep at night. He's driving me nuts!

He throws himself at my door at night and cries loudly to be let in. If I let him in, he wont let me lay down, he tries to lay in my spot so he knows that I can't. If by chance I beat him to the bed and do lay down, he cries and cries at me and headbutts me and paws at me, like he's moving litter around in his box. If I close the door he cries to get back out, so I'm forced to leave it open all night. He's constantly in my face all night or trying desperately to squeeze himself in between me and my matress to get me up. I've tried cuddling him to the point that he wants to leave. giving him interactive toys that he normally loves to play with. It seems all his toys are boring if I'm asleep. Locking him in a seperate room just keeps everybody else up with his crying. I've even tried to spank him just enough to scare him but it's obvious he doesn't know why I'm doing it. Even keeping him awake all day doesn't help. I love him too much to get rid of him, But I need sleep.

Asked by Spot on Oct 27th 2009 Tagged sleep, cries, noisy, cuddling in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

It might be difficult but completely ignore him. Roll over, hide under the blankets, don't pet him, play or talk to him. He should get bored after awhile when he realizes that your not being much fun. YAWN.....BORING!!!!!!

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 10/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Coralie Grace

I've never had a kitten before (my first one is coming home on 11/13!!) but when my cat did that I started about an hour before I wanted to go to sleep and played and played and played and played with her until she quit. I waited a little bit and started playing with her again. It seemed to work well.

The other poster was right. No matter what he does ignore him completely. Right now its a game to get you up. If you make it boring he'll stop playing.

Coralie Grace answered on 10/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Diego

Well ,
that is exactly what diego done when he was a kitten , he either scraped the door OR he would meow all night .
I remember it was 1:30 in the moring but i couldn't help it , So i started playing with it for about 20 minutes and then diego started to get sleepy so i went bed and he went on his bed . and the next day he didn't do ANYTHING.
Hope that helped . <33
Meowww Good luck Hunn

Diego answered on 10/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Please don't hit your kitty. As you said, they really don't understand that sort of punishment. At night, the house is quiet and no one is around to pay attention to him. He may even be frightened by something. I don't think he's doing this to be "bad" or annoying to you. Cats seldom do things without a good reason (to them). My cats don't play with their toys unless I'm playing with them, too, so leaving toys out for him at night won't work. Try getting him a kitty bed and putting it ON your bed with you. Put some of your nightclothes in it so it will also smell like you. Remember that cats are most active at night. If this is a new behavior, you may need to investigate what's going on at night with him. A cat or other animal outside? Does he have any health concerns? If he seems stressed out, a call to your vet might be in order. And,of course, if he is not neutered, this should be a priority as it can definitely make a cat act the way you say Spot is acting.

Abigail

first put some food in your room and put a cat bed close to your bed so at night he knows you are close to him. If he tries to jump on the bed and cuddle you and walk on you do not spank him just put him in his bed and pet him with your arm hanging off your bed. you can leave your door cracked open so he can get in and out.you can also put his bed at the bottom of your bed.do not pet him he will think it is a reward.

Abigail answered on 12/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Smoochie-the thrill kill cat!

you need to spend more time with him and play, its attention and social interaction hes craving. spend an hour and get a laser pointer or some toy make sure he gets plenty of excercise, put a harness and leash and walk him. make sure you feed him before you sleep.

Smoochie-the thrill kill cat! answered on 1/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Beastie (in memory)

The Beast started showing nocturnal tendencies as soon as she moved in with us. Before that could become a routine, we "fixed it" with lots of evening play time and a regular 11pm feeding of dry food. It only took a few evenings of that to see a major improvement in getting her sleep schedule in sync with ours. And since she did not eat much of the 11pm dry food when it was first served, she had plenty to snack on until breakfast time if she DID get up.

As she matured, she became less of a sucker for active toys, but would occasionally start to drift back to a nocturnal schedule. We made a habit of waking her up every time we caught her sleeping in the evening until she was again sleeping at night.

As an adult, she typically sleeps most of the time from about midnight to about 6am, eagerly waiting for the birds outside her window and breakfast in the kitchen, but she rarely bothers us, instead letting us wake on our own before she nags for food and attention.

Beastie (in memory) answered on 3/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer