how do I get my cat to get along with a new cat? she hisses and doesnt want anything to do with the new cat?

Asked by Member 1150133 on Jan 15th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

When I bring a new cat into my home, even if it's just a temporary foster, I always put the cat in its own rooom with litter box, food, water, a few toys and a place (like a closet or under a bed) to hide. I close the door and wait until my other cats are used to the newbie's smells and sounds. About once a day, I put my resident cats into that room and let the newbie out to explore. I visit with the newbie (alone) as often as I can. I don't try to touch or handle them if they don't want me to. I take care of their basic needs and wait until they're accustomed to me and ready to be social. If I brought a new cat in and just let it go in the house, there would be heck to pay with my resident cats. Step back and put the new cat into its own room for a while. Don't ignore it or the resident cat. Don't punish the cats for doing what comes naturally. And, if you can, contact the rescue you adopted from or your vet for more advice. Both cats, incidentally, should be "fixed".