Yoyo

How do I get my cat to eat by himself?

My snowshoe siamese won't eat by himself. He wakes me up too early to take him out to the kitchen where his food is, and then, if I leave him to go back to bed, he follows me and whines for me to take him back. Cat-sitters say he eats very little when I'm gone for 2-3 days, and he seems famished when I get back. Sometimes, he bites at my leg to get me to take him to his food, but that just gets him squirted or scolded. What can I do?

Asked by Yoyo on Jun 15th 2014 Tagged food, eating, behavior, aggression in Behavior & Training

Answers

Okay, in general cats eat less when they have a sitter because something in his/her routine has changed... that's normal. As for eating, I have two words for you... TOUGH LOVE :) IGNORE HIM. Because you haven't done this in the past, he will whine and nip, etc. After three weeks to months, he will figure out that his efforts to be fed early are futile. Leave a few treats out for him at bedtime, like feline Greenies, in the food bowl. Is there any chance that he doesn't like his food and just isn't a good eater? My cats like Natural Choice in grain free duck, and Nutro's sister company Royal Canin makes a food just for that particular feline breed (Siamese). ^_^