Panda

How do I get my cat AGGRESSIVE cat to tolerate another cat as well as a Dog?

My cat Panda is VERY cat aggressive, my mom has to keep her on separate sides of her house from her cat Dusty. If Dusty get's on Panda's side she pounces on him, slaps him, hisses at him and chases him. I want to eventually bring her here to Texas and I'd like to adopt a kitten/cat from the shelter but Panda would get NASTY with it, up until 2008 she had NEVER seen another cat and when she saw strays outside my old apartment she got VERY AGGRESSIVE trying to get to them, she destroyed our mini blinds covering our patio doors. If we picked her up she'd attack our hands, there's NO NEED for her to behave this way and when I was back at home lost interest in her because of this behavior because she is a B**CH and won't tolerate mom's cat after living there off and on for 4 years, how would I get her to GET OVER herself and tolerate a kitten/cat if I adopted one if I am able to move her here to TX? Panda also HISSES at Dogs I have had for no reason and I need to get a Service Dog soon,

Asked by Panda on Nov 6th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

Some cats, like some people, are simply anti-social and those who live with them just have to adjust. There is nothing short of anti-anxiety meds and a course in behavior counselling that might work, given her history. To bring another cat into this situation might not be the wisest of things to do.She sounds exceptionally territorial. She is spayed? You must also disclose to the Service Animal organization about Panda's behavior as they would not want the dog to become injured. It's difficult for us to answer your concerns not knowing your cat and not having realtime access to her. If there is any hope that she would become social, it would be a long and labor-intensive process. A complete personality change for her is near-impossible. Consult with an animal behaviorist (ask your vet)before you bring the dog in, and until the situation is resolved, do not attempt to add another cat to your family.