How do I get my 3 yr. old cat used to new kittens?

I have a 3yr. old that has never been around another cat before, and now I have 2 new kittens. as soon as he sees the kittens he growls and hisses.What is the best way to get them used to each other?

Asked by Member 649907 on Jul 5th 2008 in Socialization

Answers

It's difficult to keep kittens confined, but that's what you need to do until your resident cat realizes that he's still the Head Honch and that you stll love him and the babies aren't there to replace him in your affections. By growling and hissing, he's letting them know that he was there first, they're younger, he's older and they will do as he says, or else. If he was never an agressive cat, he may also feel threatened by all the "young energy" that these babies have. It's probably overwhelming for him. Spend time playing with all three--laser lights are great to get more than one cat involved in playtime with each other...and you. By all means don't yell at or punish your resident guy for putting the babies in their place. If things look dicey and you're afraid he will hurt them, separate them immediately until things calm down.