How do I get my 12 week old kitty to keep her paws clean after using the litter box?

My kitten often gets feces on her paws after using the litter box. This leads to lots of trips to the sink for cleaning, and this is something we both dislike. Is there any way I can get her to clean herself better or learn to use the box better so she does not get dirty while using it? Would cedar help?

Asked by Member 1141864 on Nov 23rd 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Batfink

Ah poopy feet, i remember those, i solved this by putting down lots of absorbent mats (the throw away kind you get to use as matress protectors)around the litter tray and switching to a litter that clumped more efectively, i also made sure if i was cleaning kitties feet, i would catch him, just as he was coming out (yeah you wont catch her all the time but as much as possible)of the tray and use a bowl of warm water etc, usually, it would annoy him enough he would then clean his paws after i cleaned them as i obviously was not doing it right (hah)then he would associate coming out of the litter tray with having to clean his own feet and he started to do it on his own! hope this helps! all the best!

Batfink answered on 11/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

October

Kittens often have worms that cause their stool to be soft. Also, changing food too quickly can cause their stool to be soft too. Once the stool is no longer soft the poopy feet shouldn't be much of a problem. Also, try making sure the box is cleaned every day.

October answered on 11/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer