♥ Socko ♥

How do I get an older cat more used to a young kitten?

I recently got a six week old kitten named Socko and the other two cats are just being nothing but nasty! They hiss and growl, and not only that, but the three year old is also being mean and nasty to the people! What should I do to fix this? Is there a way?

Asked by ♥ Socko ♥ on Aug 5th 2010 Tagged catsandkittencooperation in Behavior & Training

Answers

A 6 week old kitten is VERY young to be separated from her mom. You might need to keep this kitten in a room by herself until she gets a litte older and socialized. Your resident kitties are upset by this newcomer and this is why the 3 year old is being nasty. I would strongly suggest that for the time being, you separate the baby from the rest of the population. After a while, you can let the baby out into the house and let the residents into "her" room to familiarize themselves with her scent. You will have to work at these introductions. Trust me, you cannot just let the baby out into the general population of your kitties. Ask your vet for more pointers on how to make this successful!