How do I get a male cat to stop biting the female cat so hard during mating?

My male cat is fixed and has been for some time now. He tries to mate with one of our females all the time. Of course he bites her neck but it has gotten so bad that she has huge cuts on her neck and a lot of fur missing and she is losing weight. What can I do to stop this behavior? He doesn't do it with the other female just her. I'm really worried about her safety.

Asked by Member 770016 on Nov 18th 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Tinker Bell 2003-2006

I think that it's normal for cats to bite each other's necks while breeding, but obviously this has to stop.
Is the female fixed to? If not, that might help.

Tinker Bell 2003-2006 answered on 11/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

What Tinkerbell said is right. If your female is not spayed, doing so should cut down on this problem. Also, you can have your male cat tested for his testosterone levels. I would have a vet (maybe not the one who neutered your cat) do a titer on him. If his levels are high, this could explain his behavior if your female is neutered. You can also use a spray bottle when he exhibits this behavior, although squirting your female too doesn't seem fair to her.

Rumble

It's possible he's just showing very dominant behavior rather than sexual. Rumble regularly humps and he was neutered three years ago. Is the female very shy or submissive toward him?

If you catch him in the act, calmly remove him from the room and isolate him for a half-hour. Don't punish him by yelling or hitting; it will only make him afraid of you.

You can help bolster the female's confidence by spending some extra time playing with her privately. Play is a wonderful confidence-booster.

Rumble answered on 5/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer