How can I stop my cats from licking off the flee medication (frontline plus) just applied to the area?

I apply the frontline plus in the center of the shoulder blades as the application instructions state. The cats do not wait one second after having it applied before they start licking it. Will this also remove the medication?

Asked by Member 230317 on Jun 16th 2009 in Flea & Tick Protection

Answers

I don't really understand. If you are applying it all in the right place there should be no way a cat could turn it's head to lick there.The shoulder blades are right below the base of the neck. Only an owl can turn it's head that way. I would suggest asking your vet if one of the techs could demonstrate where to put it. Because not only would the cat be removing the effectiveness of the flea medicine, but it could also make the cat very sick.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

My cat uses Frontline as well and with proper application your cat should never be able to lick it. The small amount of liquid applied to the skin, not the fur, doesn't run so I'm not sure how ingestion is possible.
I have never seen a cat that lick in between their shoulder blades.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 6/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If one cat is licking it off the other, you are probably going to have to separate them when you Frontline them every month. I can't imagine them doing that--it tastes terrible! Just designate a room for each cat for a while until the stuff soaks in. You can also try shaking a metal can filled with pennies when you see them start to lick it off each other and saying "No!".

If applied properly, your cat will not be able to reach the area between the shoulder blades to lick it! Flea medication is very dangerous and if ingested, it could cause seizures. Keep an eye on your cats for the next 24-48 hrs. If they have any seizures, or start acting odd, please get them to a vet IMMEDIATELY!

Shadow

I realize this topic is old, but some may still have this question. Yes, it is possible for cats, particularly the smaller felines, to lick in the area between the shoulder blades.

My kitties are two such limber buggers. Since I now know where they can reach, I apply the Frontline a little higer, more toward the back of their neck where they cannot reach except with some paw wiping action (difficult) They'll still try to lick it though - funny to watch them try.

Now does front line work as well as it once did with the newer breeds of fleas? That's a discussion for another day.

Shadow answered on 10/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer