Cassie

How can I stop my cats from kicking so much litter out of the box?

My kitties like to dig a bunch before they decide they're ready to use the restroom, and they end up kicking a bunch of the litter out and onto the floor.
I have raised sides on the litter box, which helps, but the litter still piles up outside the box. Any advice on how to reduce this or even end?

Asked by Cassie on Jun 13th 2010 Tagged litterboxkittieskickingoutlitter in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Buffy

I recently switched to "Fresh Step Crystals," and since the urine is absorbed immediately, the only time my 14-year old Buffy scratches a bit is after defecating. Because the crystals are harder than other litters, she limits her time touching it! There is a large, soft, spongy pad (looks like long lines of speed bumps!) near the opening of the large, covered box, which does an amazing job of trapping any bits of crystals left between her toes. Frequently, I stir the crystals, remove any dried-up feces, and pour back into the box any bits of crystal left on the pad. I highly recommend this litter!!

Buffy answered on Jun 19th.

Answers

Harvey

You don't train cats. They train you. There is no way to convince a cat not to kick litter outside of the box, if that is their modus operandi. You can put some kind of thingie (can't think of the English word) under the litter box to make cleanup easier. How about a small handheld vacuum cleaner next to the litter box (preferably one that runs on batteries, or one that can be connected to a closeby electrical outlet)? Kitty goes toidy, Human vacuums. Believe me, with 13 cats I have my own toilet problems--you are not alone. But some problems simply have to be dealt with, meaning let the cat do its thing, and cleaning up afterwards. Ah, cats...

Harvey answered on 6/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I had a cat that did this as well. Unfortunately, she didn't like hooded litter boxes either. There isn't really much you can do about this problem. As my cat got older she didn't kick the litter around as much. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help to you. I guess there are some "messy" kitties out there that have to be cleaned up after.

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a

I will say that the little kitty-moles I have had do slow down a bit when they get older. You can try a little behavior modification. I listened and when he went in the box then waited till he was done. This took a bit of time as my digger-Tim wants to make sure that his spot is just perfectly prepared. Then when he was done I would wait a bit to let him cover his business. When he gave a few strokes and all was well I would call him over and over and when he got out early I would pet and tell him how good a boy he was. Now this kind of mod is slow going so be patient.
As answered the only real solution without training is a box with a top. Timmy has been a digger since he came to me but he has toned it down a bit. Purrs

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a answered on 6/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer