How can I keep my cat off the couch?

Asked by Member 1033883 on May 15th 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Spike

Oh, I feel your pain. Unfortunately, the short answer is that you probably can't, unless you keep the door to the room with the couch closed and Kitty on the other side. My mother fought the cat vs. couch war for 18 years with my childhood cat, and ultimately lost. I assume that you mean your cat gets on top of your couch, leaving hair and/or dirty pawprints, which you don't like. If you mean Kitty scratches the couch, too, you've got double trouble. Cats are not dogs, and don't really understand the concept of punishment, so yelling or slapping is unlikely to help. I've heard of people spraying water, but that strikes me as cruel and doesn't seem to work well. You might want to look into clicker training--that works for some people. Other than that, get a leather or vinyl couch, or a couch covering. Kitty just wants to be comfortable, and to be near you on the couch. Learn to live with it, or figure out strategies for making the couch less appealing without scolding Kitty.

Spike answered on 5/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Every time your cat touches the couch spray it with water with a spray bottle

If it is only happening when you aren't home, lay some spread out newspapers over the couch. Cats (and dogs) do not like to walk on the crinkly paper.
Works great for keeping them off your bed as well.

Una

"NO! BAD CAT!" My Human "no bad cat"'s at me when I do something bad. (She doesn't care about the couch, but I like to get up on the shelf with the antique books. They smell sooo good and musty! YUM! I love to roll on them and get them all hairy!). It means being VERY consistent. If you see your cat on the couch, lift him of and say "NO BAD CAT!" If he tries again, "NO, BAD CAT!" third time, give him a little squirt with a squirt gun, and NO BAD CAT! There's also some great repellents that won't damage the furniture- My Human uses Pet Organics No Stay! - It smells stinky to me, but Humans can't smell it. The trick is to be one-hundred percent consistent, and get ALL of the members of your household to be consistent, too. Man-Human used to yell "UNA!" when I was being bad, and I was confused, because that was my name! So why was I in trouble? Now he remembers to 'No Bad Cat', too. Not that I'm EVER a bad cat... oooh nooo... I'm always good! :)

Una answered on 5/24/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer