How can I help my cat remember his best friend?

I have a Maine Coon cat named Kyle, who I recently had shaved. He was becoming very matty, and my veterinarian recommended it. Kyle has lived with our orange tabby cat, Ben, for the past five years. They have always been friendly toward each other.

However, when I brought Kyle home from the groomer, Ben started to hiss at him and ran away. Ben has continued to hiss at him over the past few days, so it appears that he does not remember Kyle. How can I help Ben remember Kyle again?

Thank you.

Asked by Member 1187486 on Aug 28th 2013 in Aggression

Answers

Hello, it's not that, it's the SMELL. Your cat smells different from the lack of fur and bath scents. I have a cat who hisses whenever one of his catmates comes back from a vet visit for the same reason. It may take a couple of weeks for the smell to wear off. Let his natural odors come back naturally and brush him regularly when the fur starts to grow back. You can tempt them both to the same area for treats like new Greenies Fusions in salmon and chicken. If the mats get bad in the future, just cut them out so they don't become bigger ^_^