How can I get two female cats to get along? Original 3yo spayed, new 1yo spayed. Original hunting new.

I adopted 1yo spayed female and our 3yo spayed femal does not like her. At first the new cat was aggressor, now original cat is the hunter. They eat together side by side and that is all. They will not play together, each watches the other play with us but will not join. Separate sleeping rooms and litter boxes. Help!

Asked by Member 1161382 on Jul 9th 2013 in Socialization

Answers

The short answer is that you can't force them to like each other, much as you can't force people to get along. You don't say what the time frame is, but if you've recently adopted the kitty, you must give it time, sometimes months, for them to decide to get along or even just to tolerate each other. Lizzie and Delilah, my 2 females, totally ignore each other beyond giving each other the "stink eye" when they pass. There's no fighting but also no playing. I've accepted that. Izzie, who originally hid under the bed when I brought Lizzie home, now chases and plays with Lizzie. Keep doing what you're doing, and if it's meant to be, it will. If there is fur-flying and blood-letting, invest in a spray bottle and let them have it when things get nasty. We have to let them make up their own minds what their level of friendship will be and accept whatever they decide.