Mowdi

How can I get my two male cats(one is 9years old the other is about 3) to get along?

We adopted Patches in 2001 as a kitten. About 3 years or so a neighbor abandoned Mowdi which was about 4 or 5 months old. They are both domestic shorthair cats At the moment Patches tolerates Mowdi. Patches is the aggressor while Mowdi just wants to play; he walks on eggshells around Patches and Patches has attacked him many, many times... I wish they would get along, but it seems impossible...

Asked by Mowdi on Jul 21st 2010 in Socialization

Answers

Cats live in a hierarchy, meaning that they will fight to be the #1 cat in the pecking order. You, however, need to establish YOURSELF as the alpha (or main) cat. Let Patches know that you will not tolerate him attaching Mowdi. When it looks like he's going to, put yourself between him and Mowdi, look at him with murder in your eye and in a stern, firm voice (loud but not yelling) tell him there's no way he's going to pick on Mowdi. He won't understand the words, but you need to let him know you are ticked and won't tolerate this any longer. To bring him down a notch, you may want to try feeding Mowdi first and making Patches wait for his. Of course, if the boys aren't neutered, you MUST do this as well.

Lucky Paws!

I agree with the advice above. I would also consider using a stress reducing plug-in like Feliway Comfortzone. It relieves stress whether you are there or not and really stops stress "marking" also. Honestly it works. A kitty condo helps also. They have cat territory all their own and EBay has big ones under $200. A investment in kitty comfort they love.

Lucky Paws! answered on 7/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer