How can I get my once social female cat to come out in the daytime?

My cat has just recently started hiding all day and only comes out at night once my three kids (ages 3, 5 &11) have gone to bed. She has been urinating on my things because I go to bed at a decent time of night and she is not getting enough attention. I am home all day and she would sometimes come out to see me and she has not for the past month and has regularly been urinating on only my clothes (not my husband or the kids stuff) How can I get my once family cat to be a part of our family again?

Asked by Member 1155656 on Feb 17th 2013 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Unles you attach "kiddie-cams" and a "kitty-cam" to your kids and cat, it's almost impossible to determine what has gone on, whether, since it's winter and your kids are probably inside more, she's become wary of them, or on a more serious note, since she's urinating outside the box, it's possible she may have a bladder infection. Cats will stop using the box if they think the box is causing their pain, and if you've ever had one, you know bladder infections ARE painful. Chances are if you question your kids, they'll deny they've scared the cat and they may not even be aware of it. Cats have very sensitive feelings. But it seems to me that since this is a new behavior, perhaps you should start with a trip to the vet for a urine check to rule out health issues. In the meantime, keep your clothes, purse, etc. in your room with the door closed. Keep her litter box pristine and in a secluded location. And do bring her in to the vet. Hope things straighten out quickly!