How can I get my new kitten from pooping on the carpet.

My kitten is just 7 weeks old and has picked a corner in my living room to use as her litter box. I have cleaned the area and moved the litter box and the kitten to the bathroom until she starts using it. How long will it take before I should be able to move the litter box back to the laundry room and let her roam free in the house again? And is there something else I can do to make sure she doesn't use that corner again?

Asked by Member 830738 on Apr 27th 2009 in Litter Box Training

Answers

Bailey

Honestly, as much as you do not want a litterbox in your living room...I had this problem when Bailey was 8 weeks old and it was because the place where the litterbox was was just too far for her tiny legs to take her in a hurry. She would be playing playing playing and then UH OH...I gotta go!!! In addition to cleaning the area with a product like Nature's Miracle that will remove the scent she is going back to, I put a litterbox in that corner until she learned the right place to go. Then I moved it gradually to where the regular litterbox was. Across the room to the bottom of the stairs, then to the top of the stairs, and then into the bathroom with the regular litterbox over the course of a couple of months. You don't want a litterbox in your living room but you just explain to people that she's in training and you can't help it. It's better than pee on the rug. Also make sure that the sides of the box are low enough that she doesn't have trouble getting into it.

Bailey answered on 4/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Bailey, try a lower sided or smaller litterbox that she can easily get into to. Is she using the box in the bathroom? You may want to keep an eye on her if you let her out of the bathroom, if you see she's going to squat, pick her up and out her in the litterbox. Give her praise and cuddles when she is a good girl and does use her litterbox. She's so young that you should be able to remedy the problem.