Caspian

How can I get my cats to play nicely together? They just stare at each other.

Each of my cats will play with ME individually, but if the other cat so much as walks into the room, the one I'm playing with stops and then they both stare at each other. I've tried playing with them both at once, but they won't participate. I've tried separating them and playing individually, but I don't want the "other" to think he or she is getting punished. I've tried new toys, but this only works for about 5 minutes and we're back to staring. It's like they're refusing to be playful in front of one another and it's becoming very frustrating.

Asked by Caspian on Feb 10th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Max

It sounds like there is a little bit of jealousy going on. this is not uncommon. It sounds like you are doing what you can to teach them. I would just keep on trying what you are doing now. Make sure you give them equal time. Hopefully they will learn to share you.

Max answered on 2/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Staring is better than hissing or swatting. What kind of toys are you using? I've found that my cats bond over Da Bird or other fishing pole toys best. Cats generally go wild over them and forget (if only for a while) any hostility towards each other. By the way, how old are they, what are their sexes, and how long have you had them? It could be that they're competing to see who is the alpha cat. And have they been desexed? That can make a difference.