How can I get my cat to slow down when eating?

My newly adopted cat is 2 years old and eats waaaay too fast. So fast that it comes up immediately. He vomits about 1/4 the time. Other than that he is completely normal... good appetite, drinks ennough, good bowels... The vet said he is in good health. My theory is that he picked up this habit when he was a stray and had to compete for food. Now that he is being fed regularly, what can I do to slow his eating?

Asked by Member 646016 on Jun 23rd 2008 Tagged vomiting in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Noel

Your theory seems right. Out on his own, he had to eat quickly. And also as much as he could; he never knew when his next meal would be coming along.
If there are other cats, he still may feel he needs to eat quickly, before another cat gets the food. You could try feeding him seperate.
If there aren't other cats, you could try smaller, more frequent meals. Or you could put something like golf balls in his food dish that he has to eat around. That will slow him down. Something small but not too small that he could swallow, and heavy.
It could also be food allergies. Or was there a change in his food? Any changes should be slow, over a week or so.
Hope he's better soon!

Noel answered on 6/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sophia Marie

also, be aware that stray cats (specifcially starved cats) will often gain weight because they don't know how to "stop".

Some things i've read (but not tried, sorry), include
1. the golf ball thing. forces the cats to slow down because they have to push it around.
2. *if you are around all day,* only put 3 or 4 kibbles down at a time, then 3 or 4 more a few minutes later.
3. This one works for us with treats, cause my sophia eats the treats WAY TOO FAST....
Spread the kibbles around. make them look for them on the plate. even better, make them "hunt" for them around the house. put out 10 or 15 "stations" with only 4 or 5 kibbles at each. (again, time consuming, but it not only helps prevent eating too fast, it helps with the "hunt" aspect that keeps cats from getting bored.

Sophia Marie answered on 6/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Tinker Bell 2003-2006

Put large rocks in his dish. Having to navigate around the rocks will slow him down.
Not to mention, when cats eat fast they swallow lots of air, causing more gas. So the rocks will reduce gas too.

Tinker Bell 2003-2006 answered on 6/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Philbert

www.amazon.com

I saw a food bowl like this one at a local pet store, it's also supposed to help your pet slow down eating. i think they make them in smaller cat sizes.

Philbert answered on 6/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bella (In Loving Memory)

At the hospital I work at we just recommend feeding them on a cookie sheet with all the food spread completely out so that they are all level and none are really even touching. This worked for the stray cats I fed last winter! If you try all the things mentioned here (all GREAT suggestions!) and its still going on then see a vet/change food. It could be he's sensitive to it but if that were the case I'd expect diarrhea as well.

Vomiting is always a cause for concern if its ongoing so just monitor his food/water intake and make sure that there isn't more coming up than staying down!

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 6/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer