How can I get my 9 week old kitten to allow us to pet her and show her love?

Angel is very skid ish and will not allow anybody including myself around her. She runs and hides and on the rare occasion we do get close she goes into attack mode. She has not had any human contact since the day we for her. I need help domesticating this kitten because she is wild. Haha. She will only come out when everyone is in there beds however she does play with my other cat and dog

Asked by Member 1149734 on Jan 13th 2013 Tagged behavior in Behavior & Training

Answers

Since you don't know Angel's history, it's possible that not everyone she came into contact with showed her love. If she shows that she's going to attack when you come near her, then leave her be to make up her own mind about human contact. Start slow. Only one person should have contact such as feeding and litter cleaning with her. Too many people "at" her all the time can cause her to go into attack mode. Don't force her to be petted or held. Don't look her directly in the eye. Speak softly to her. No sudden moves. If there are children in your family, they must understand that Angel has to make up her own mind when she will become part of your family. No chasing, no teasing, no loud voices or "crazy" behavior around her. If she does come out, say "Oh, hi, Angel! How are you?" and keep on doing whatever you were doing. Make sure she has a safe place to go, even behind a sofa and don't attempt to drag her out. YOU play with your cat and dog, too, and see if you can get her to join in.

i find that cats are all completely different & you have to just let them be. I have two female cats, JD & Precious - JD lives on my lap and follows me everywhere but Precious hates being held or picked up and hides most of the time. I think shes happy just the way things are. I did buy a cat bed for my night stand and i can always find her snuggled up there, and she even lets me pet her, in moderation, while shes in her comfy spot. maybe give that a try?