How can I find out if a neighbor has taken our cat?

We were missing our cat for three days and went house to house and my wife thought she saw our cat inside one of our neighbors house. They have three dogs and a couple of cats of their own. We do not know these neighbors. We showed them a picture of ours and they said they have not seen it. My wife said that a cat was coming down their inside stairs and heard my wife's voice and stopped in his tracks and looked right at her. The neighbor insisted that they had not seen our cat. It has been a couple of months now and my wife still has dreams about it.
Any suggestions...
Please help!!!

Asked by Member 966356 on Feb 19th 2010 Tagged neighbors, stole, cat in Laws & Legislation

Answers

This is a difficult one. I'd go to your neighbours with a photo and specifically ask them if they have your cat and ask to see their cat that looks like yours.

If they won't let you see the cat you could call animal control and ask them to help you check if the cat is yours.

If your cat had a microchip you can prove for sure if it is yours or theirs. If it has distinctive markings a photo may be show if it is yours but if it is a plain black cat or something it will be difficult to prove for sure.

Sadie/ In loving memory

I agree with what Sassy said. I'd call the animal control people and talk to them. If the kitty has a microchip it's easy to prove. You can show them pictures as well. Good luck and I hope you get your kitty back.

Sadie/ In loving memory answered on 2/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This is definitely a question for the authorities. A cat is personal property, just like a bicycle, car, or anything else. if your neighbors have nothing to hide and they are not guilty of anything, they should have no problem letting the police and/or your wife see this cat you thought was yours. After you do this, they may not be your friends, but if they do have your cat, it's worth a try. But, use the authorities instead of doing it on yyour own.

Charlie

I agree with what the others have said. This is a very difficult situation to be in. I actually watched a "Judge Judy" show where someone was convinced that their neighbor stole their dog. Basically, from what was said, If you think your neighbor may have taken your cat you should talk to the police. If your cat has a microchip, it will be very easy to prove the cat is yours. Otherwise, you can give the police a photo of your cat and have them go over to your neighbors, or you can have the police act as an escort to mediate the situation while you talk to the neighbor and ask to see her pets. One thing I found was very strange is if you have to go to court and even if you can prove it is your cat, because pets are considered property your neighbor wouldn't have to return the cat to you, only pay you for what your cat is worth. However, I don't think any judge would be heartless enough to not order them to return your cat to you- even Judge Judy isn't that heartless.

Charlie answered on 2/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kitty (deceased)

well, I think you should definitely show them a picture and ask again.. because cats can go missing, but always come back. Do they let that cat out?.. Does it come to your house when, if does go outside? Have you seen this cat at your neighbors before your cat went missing? Is your neighbors acting strange?... I hope you find your cat! Good luck :D

Kitty (deceased) answered on 3/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer